Philippines Flag

How to Change the Registered Owner on the Transfer Certificate of Title (TCT)

Home Guide

General Information

For Balikbayans

For Foreigners

Retirement Visa

Tips Before U Buy

Taxes & Registration

Here is a step-by-step guide on transferring property title or TCT from the seller to the new owner of a property e.g. house & lot.

1. Execute a "DEED OF ABSOLUTE SALE" from the seller of the property and have the document notarized.

Note: Capital Gains Tax must be paid at the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)within 60 days starting on the date when the Deed of Absolute Sale was notarized or pay a substantial penalty. (TIP: If you think you won't be able to pay the Capital Gains Tax within the time period, delay notarizing the deed.)

2. Go to office of Bureau of Internal Revenue where the property is located. Have the following documents:
-Original Deed of Absolute Sale
-Original Transfer Certificate of Title
-2 Certified True Copy of TCT from Registry of Deeds
and Official Receipt/ Acknowledgment Receipt
-Certified True Copy of the latest Tax Declaration
-Tax Identification Number (TIN) of seller (BIR Form No. 1904)
-Photocopy of seller's government issued ID e.g. Passport
-Tax Identification Number (TIN) of buyer (BIR Form No. 1904)
-Photocopy of buyer's government issued ID e.g. Driver's License

3. Pay the Capital Gains Tax -6% of the selling price or zonal value (BIR Form No. 1706)

4. Pay Documentary Stamp Tax -1.5% of the selling price (BIR Form No. 2000-OT)


6. Go to the Registry of Deeds where the property is located (Usually located at the Municipal or City Hall). Have the following documents:
-Notarized letter to the Register of Deeds requesting a new TCT be issued
-Certificate Authorizing Registration (CAR)
-Original Transfer Certificate of Title
-Original Deed of Absolute Sale
-Original Transfer Tax Receipt from Assessor's Office Municipal Hall
-Original Tax Clearance Certificate from Municipal Hall
-Original Capital Gains Tax (BIR Form No. 1706),
-Original Documentary Stamp Tax (BIR Form No. 2000- OT) with receipts
-Tax Declaration of Real Property

7. Pay the REGISTRATION FEE at the Registry of Deeds.

8. Get TRANSFER CERTIFICATE of TITLE (TCT) after about 1-2 weeks.

9. Go to the Assessor's Office to get New TAX DECLARATION. Have the following documents:
-Certified True Copy of TCT & show Original TCT
-Certified True Copy of Certificate Authorizing Registration
-Certified True Copy of Deed of Absolute Sale
-Certified True Copy of latest Tax Declaration (in the name of the previous owner)

10. Get new Tax Declaration under the name of the new registered owner.


General Information | For Foreigners | For Balikbayan | Retirement Visa | Buying Tips | Taxes | Links Page